What to Do When Your Air Conditioning Breaks Down
Even if you do everything you can to maintain your air conditioning unit, accidents can still sometimes happen. Being stuck without an air conditioning unit and waiting for a repair professional to come can be a challenge. Luckily, we at 4 Seasons in Victoria are here to help. Here are just a few easy ways to stay cool if your air conditioning unit has broken down:
• Close all your doors and windows. It might seem counter-intuitive, but making sure as many doors and windows in your home are closed can help keep your home cool. If your AC has just stopped working, you want to keep the cold air inside as long as possible.
• Simulate sweat. If you’re just trying to stay comfortable until help arrives, your body’s temperature matters more than what temperature your home is at. Rather than attempting to cool your entire house, why not just cool your body? One of the primary ways that we regulate our body’s temperature is through sweat. Luckily, some cool water can work just as well. You can soak a few washcloths in a bowl of water and keep it in your refrigerator. Placing the cold, damp washcloth on your forehead can help regulate your body’s temperature.
• Keep the sunlight out. Ok, it’s less the light that’s a problem than the radiation that heats up the air in your home. Something as simple as pulling the curtains can make a big difference in keeping the inside of your home cool. You can take things a step further by sealing your windows with a reflective surface such as tin foil, which will more completely reflect sunlight away from your home.
• Fans can help your sweat evaporate. Just having a fan without a cooling unit can, in fact, help cool you off. Of course, simply having air moving past you doesn’t cool you. It does, however, help your sweat evaporate more quickly, which does help cool your body. A fan, combined with a moist washcloth will have you feeling comfortable in no time.
• Stay hydrated. Human adults can produce anywhere from two of four litres of sweat in an hour. That’s a lot of moisture leaving your body. To stay healthy, cool and safe, remember to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water if you’re going to be stuck in a hot or dry environment for a long time.
Of course, the best thing you can do when your air conditioning unit breaks down is to contact an expert from 4 Seasons in Victoria. We can help you restore your heat pump or air conditioning unit as quickly as possible. We can diagnose and effectively fix the problem!