Pros and Cons to Having a Heat Pump for Your Home
Are you tired of constantly repairing your old furnace? Heat pumps might be the answer you’ve been waiting for. At 4 Seasons • Fireplaces • Furnaces • Heat Pumps in Victoria, we like to let our customers know about all the options that might be right for their homes. Heat pumps are a newer technology but make a lot of financial sense for many homes in the Victoria area.
What is a Heat Pump?
A heat pump functions in a very similar way to your refrigerator: they transfer heat from one area to another. Because heat pumps don’t create heat, but simply transfer it, their process is reversible. They can cool your home in the summer and heat it in the winter. Sometimes heat pumps exchange heat between the inside of your home and the ground (which is often warmer than the air) or simply between the inside and outside of your home.
What are Some Disadvantages of a Heat Pump?
As with any technology, there are some potential disadvantages to having heat pumps for your Victoria home, including:
• A comparatively high installation cost. Because it’s a complicated piece of technology, it will a bit more costly to install than a simple electric or gas furnace.
• Installation and maintenance require expertise. Heat pumps aren’t great candidates for DIY projects. You’ll need the help of a trained expert to properly install and maintain the machine.
• Extreme weather conditions might cause it to lose efficiency. When temperatures get extremely cold, heat pumps have a harder time moving heat from one area to another. If you like a more intense heat from hot air blowing from vents, you may want to stick with gas or electric or have a supplemental heating system in addition to your heat pumps.
What are Some Advantages?
Although the winters and summers in Victoria aren’t as bad as some other areas of Canada, we do get hot summers and cold winters. Here are a few ways in which heat pumps can help you manage the harsh temperatures:
• Because they require no combustion, heat pumps are much more energy efficient and ecologically friendly than traditional heating methods.
• Although they have a higher initial cost, heat pumps are also cheaper to run than gas on a monthly basis. Heat transfer creates nothing new; it simply moves heat around. Because nothing is being burned, heat pumps are much safer than combustion and will never leak or give off harmful gases.
• Heat pumps are tough and efficient machines. With proper care and maintenance, they have a long life span.
If you’re interested in finding out more about heat pumps and whether they’re right for your Victoria home, contact us at 4 Seasons • Fireplaces • Furnaces • Heat Pumps today.